Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Music That Makes Me Feel Something!

Yesterday as I was driving in the car with my daughter, a GREAT song came on the radio. She immediately reached over to change the channel but I wouldn't let her. I told her that this is one of my Top 10 favorite songs of all time. That got me thinking about why it was one of my Top 10 favorite songs. There is a lot of great music. What is so special about this song? Do my other favorites share a commonality? The answer is yes. Each song makes me feel something emotionally.

I love music! It touches my heart in a way few things can. In high school I was very involved in choirs and in college this morphed into writing music. I write lyrics that mean something to me and I put them to a melody that matches the story and sentiment. Then I try to figure out how to play it on the piano or guitar. I play and sing the words that I wrote and remember the emotion I was feeling at the time I wrote the lyrics.

The music of my favorite artists penetrates deep and I greatly appreciate the skill with which they share their feelings about loss or pain, hope, redemption, love, dreams and heartache. Here are a few of my favorites.

Steve's Top 10
Fire and Rain.............................................James Taylor
Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me.........Elton John
Let It Be.................................................... Beatles
The Dance................................................. Garth Brooks
Redemption Song..................................... Bob Marley
Everybody Hurts..................................... REM
Goodnight Saigon..................................... Billy Joel
I'm Not Ready to Make Nice.................. Dixie Chicks
Dream On................................................. Aerosmith
The Story................................................. Brandi Carlile
*One Day More....................................... Les Miserables (Honorable Mention)

Undoubtedly, your favorites will be different. What music touches you?
FYI- Most of these can be found on my playlist at the bottom of the blog.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have written this article. My love for music has been with me for as long as I can remember. I love to sing and play the piano and lead the ward choir. Almost all music moves me in one way or another. It is nothing out of the ordinary for the congregation to see me cry through the sacrament hymns. They are so beautiful and the words, if listened to tell such a sweet and moving story of the love of our Heavenly Father. There are other songs that have moved me tremendously because of the messages in them. John Denver's "Annie's Song, Gary Puckett's "Young Girl", "Summer Place", Janice Kapp Perry's "The Least of These" and "The Test", Marvin Goldstien's "Lily's of the Field" and I my all time favorite "Oh That I Were An Angel" take from Alm 29:1.
    Music is the quiet place I go when things get a little hectic. It helps to bring me back to the center of things. It soothes and quiets the nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music always evokes feelings in me! We just watched this weeks episode of Glee and the two songs that New Directions performed really gave me goosebumps! Amazing! They were original and I can't wait to get them on my Ipod! Sometimes I wish life had a soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, Thank you. Well said. I LOVE Annie's Song.

    Vicki, I've got to admit. Those songs were way better than the Headband Song and Trouty Mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Landslide by Fleetwood Mac off the top of my head...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is like making me pick a favorite between my children. I love "Behold the Lamb of God" Handel, "Beyond the Sea" Bobby Darin, "You Make My Dreams Come True" Hall and Oats, "Cluck Old Hen" Alison Krauss and Union Station, "I Only Have Eyes For You" The Flamingos, "Love This Life" Crowded House, "The Flower Duet" from Lakme, "A Little Love" Meaghan Smith, "Mocking Bird Hill" Patty Page, most anything by Ella Fitzgerald (I love the voice, really), and absolutely anything by Mozart...I'll stop now because if I don't I'll write a book. I love music more than anything and am thankful every day that I can hear.

    ReplyDelete