Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Enjoyment Factor


The Whitney Awards reward excellence in writing by LDS authors and are announced at the annual Whitney Awards Banquet in May. I enjoy the opportunity to support LDS authors who provide quality, clean reading.

This is a VERY simple Enjoyment Factor Worksheet I complete within a few days of finishing a Whitney Finalist book. The higher the score = the higher the enjoyment factor and rating for the book within a particular genre. I then compare to the other books in the genre. If I have a violent reaction to the results of the Enjoyment Factor Score I go with my gut. Facing the reality of a decision provides clarity, but this is a starting point to help me come to a reasonable decision.

Circle the number that best describes the level of agreement with the statement. One is the lowest and five is the highest level of agreement.


1- The story is original and engaging

1 2 3 4 5

2- I got lost in the storybook world

1 2 3 4 5

3- The story compelled me to continue reading

1 2 3 4 5

4- I care about the characters and they seem real to me

1 2 3 4 5

5- I gained greater insight into myself or others through the character development

1 2 3 4 5

6- The pacing, plot development and conclusions are reasonable and entertaining

1 2 3 4 5

7- The writing enhanced the story and did not distract

1 2 3 4 5

8- The story has value beyond pure entertainment

1 2 3 4 5

9- I experienced an emotional response to the story and characters and I found myself thinking about the book after I finished

1 2 3 4 5

10- I would enthusiastically recommend this book to intelligent friends and family

1 2 3 4 5


How do you calculate your Enjoyment Factor?

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll make a copy of your Enjoyment Factor Worksheet.

    I never judge a book by its cover. Once I start a book, and it keeps me in the picture, I read from beginning to end. If the books gets too discriptive I skip paragraphs, even pages. I've been known to read the end of a book and read it backwards as long as it keeps my interest, after reading the first two or three chapters.

    ReplyDelete